Stewart Calderwood
Stewart Calderwood
Stewart Calderwood
● Stewart Calderwood, 1936 (VIF)

born in Scotland

Stewart Calderwood was born on Sunday, 3rd December, 1905, in Darleith, Dunbartonshire.

The 5' 9½ (11st 10lbs) defender signed for George Easton's Thistle on Monday, 31st May, 1926, having most recently been with Rutherglen Glencairn.

Aged 20, he made his debut appearance on Tuesday, 17th August, 1926, in a 1-0 defeat away to King's Park in the Stirling Charity Cup.

Stewart scored his first two goals for Thistle on Tuesday, 17th September, 1935, in a 4-1 win at home to Motherwell in the SFL First Division.

He scored the last of his 9 goals on Saturday, 26th December, 1936, in a 4-0 win at home to Kilmarnock in the SFL First Division.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 30th April, 1938, in a 1-1 draw away to Third Lanark in the SFL First Division, having clocked up a mighty 426 appearances as a Jag.

His club-list included Rutherglen Glencairn, Partick Thistle and Queens Park Rangers.

We don't know where or when Stewart died. *

* If you can help us to improve any of these marked points on The Thistle Archive, then please do get in touch →

Bio Extra

Half back Stewart signed for the Jags in May 1926, from Rutherglen Glencairn. His first senior Jags outing was in September of that year as a 20-year-old. It was the start of a magnificent 423 turnouts in Thistle colours over the years until 1938, nearly 12 years in total. A strong tackler and good distributor of the ball, Stewart cemented his place in Jags’ folklore, appearing in no less than 6 cup finals between 1927 and 1937. He was on the winning side in the Glasgow Charity Cup in the 1926-27 season (a stunning 6-3 win over Rangers), 1934-35 Glasgow Cup and the 1934-35 Glasgow Charity Cup.

He was in the side for the 1929-30 Scottish Cup Final replay to Rangers (2-1 to Rangers after a 0-0 draw). He was also a losing finalist in the 1932-33 Glasgow Charity Cup and the 1936-37 Glasgow Cup. He didn’t play in the final of the 1928 Glasgow Dental Hospital Cup, but did get a winner’s medal as he did play for Thistle in the tournament. Stewart was given a free transfer in the summer of 1939, and signed for Queen’s Park Rangers. Strangely the Marlybone Mercury of 13 August 1938 claimed that Stewart had been appointed trainer for Queen’s Park Rangers after a training course. He joined the Royal Air Force during the war, and also acted as coach for the RAF team. Sadly the advent of war ended Stewart’s professional career, so he effectively played for 1 senior side during his career – Partick Thistle.

On account of his service during WWII, Stewart is included in our feature piece, The Partick Thistle returned →.


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.