Peter Curran
Peter Curran
Peter Curran
• Peter Curran, 1938 (DET)

born in Scotland

Peter Joseph Curran is thought to have been born in 1917, in Saltocats, North Ayrshire, and was son to adoptive parents, Mary and Peter Curran. *

The 5' 7 (10st 6lbs) defender signed for Donald Turner's Thistle on Tuesday, 21st September, 1937, having most recently been with Kilwinning Rangers.

Aged 19 or 20, he made his debut appearance on Saturday, 13th November, 1937, in a 6-2 win at home to Ayr United in the SFL First Division.

Peter scored his first goal for Thistle on Saturday, 28th September, 1940, in a 1-1 draw away to Queen's Park in the Southern League.

He scored the last of his 6 goals on Saturday, 14th November, 1942, in a 4-1 defeat away to Rangers in the Southern League.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 30th October, 1948, in a 3-1 defeat at home to Third Lanark in the SFL First Division, having clocked up an impressive 394 appearances as a Jag.

His club-list included Kilwinning Rangers, Partick Thistle and Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Peter died on Sunday, 1st March, 1964, in Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, aged 47.

* If you can help us to improve any of these marked points on The Thistle Archive, then please do get in touch →

Bio Extra

Peter hailed from Ayrshire and was a factory worker in Ardeer before putting pen to paper as a professional footballer with Partick Thistle. A most valiant left-back with a do-or-die outlook, Peter could use either foot, and never knew when he was beat, so he was a tremendous asset to the team, which was the key to his longevity, clocking up almost 400 appearances over 11 years.

It was very unusual for a player to be sent-off in Peter's era, but twice he was ordered from the field; in February 1938 and April 1948. He was suspended for 14 days and fined £5 for the first offence, which was a sore one. I'd like to think of this as a surefire sign of his commitment to the cause! And, besides, William Bruce of Q.O.S. got 30 days for his part in the fracas so he was clearly worse!

Although never a full internationalist, Peter played in both SFA & Scottish League Select sides in the 1940s, pitting his wits succesfully against the likes of Stanley Matthews; it was indicative of his stature in the game. His finest hour as a Jag was undoubtedly partnering Jimmy McGowan as the backline which led the Jags to Hampden glory in 1945. Hibs were defeated by 2 goals to nil in the final, and the Summer Cup was won. Peter played in all six matches during the campaign. The final line-up gives a flavour of his mates of the day: Jim Steadward, Jimmy McGowan, Peter Curran, Bill Shankly, Bobby Parker, Jackie Husband, Jackie Johnson, Hugh Brown, Willie Sharp, Maurice Candlin, Joe McGeachy.

In July 1949, after having been granted a free-transfer from Firhill, it was announced that Peter would take on a player-coach role at Inverness Thistle, but the deal fell through when the two parties couldn't agree to terms. He played with Wigtown & Bladnoch for a spell and, in September 1950, enjoyed a fine 2-1 home win over Montrose in the Scottish Qualifying Cup. After retiring, Peter lent his experience to coaching kids in Kilwinning and came full circle in his career in the early 1950s when he got involved once again with Kilwinning Rangers, taking on roles as trainer and coach for several years. His son, also Peter Joseph Curran, became a goalkeeper in the game, and also turned out for Partick Thistle!


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.