Peter Bain
Peter Bain
Peter Bain
● Peter Bain, 1936 (VIF)

born in Scotland

Peter Bain was born on Sunday, 8th August, 1909, in Portsoy, Banffshire.

The forward signed for Donald Turner's Thistle on Tuesday, 26th December, 1933, having most recently been with Keith.

Aged 24, he made his debut appearance on Saturday, 30th December, 1933, in a 2-0 defeat away to Kilmarnock in the SFL First Division.

Peter scored his first two goals for Thistle on Saturday, 6th January, 1934, in a 4-0 win at home to Aberdeen in the SFL First Division.

He scored the last of his 18 goals on Saturday, 31st August, 1935, in a 3-1 defeat at home to Rangers in the SFL First Division.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 18th April, 1936, in a 3-0 defeat away to Airdrieonians in the SFL First Division, having appeared as a Jag on 82 occasions.

His club-list included Buckie Thistle, Aberdeen University, Keith, Elgin City, Partick Thistle, Dundee United and Raith Rovers.

Peter died on Thursday, 25th October, 2001, in Portsoy, Bannfshire, aged 92.

Bio Extra

Peter was educated at Portsoy Primary School and Fordyce Academy, before going to Aberdeen to train as a school teacher. He was described as a speedy and direct player, and a splendid crosser of the ball. He was a left-sided forward, but could play at centre too when required. He made his debut for Buckie Thistle in March 1927, where he spent two years before moving his studies took him to Aberdeen, where he played for the University team in the Aberdeen & District League in 1928-29. He returned to Highland League football, firstly with Keith and then Elgin City. He returned to Buckie Thistle for a season 1931-32 before a move back to Keith in 1933.

Peter signed for Donald Turner's Thistle on boxing day 1933, and spent two and a half years at Firhill, consistently making 20 or more appearances in each of his three seasons. His compass always pointed back to the North East though, and he signed for Dundee United in May 1936, making his debut in a 4-2 win at King’s Park (now Stirling Albion) at the start of the following season. Just seven months later he parted company with the club on 7th November 1936 by mutual consent after 3 goals in 10 appearances. He joined Raith Rovers briefly before returning to his roots to join Buckie Thistle for a third time.

He taught for many years in the Kingussie area and, ever a sporty type, really enjoyed his golf and bowling, taking up the latter pursuit in his retirement years. He was a well kent competitor at his hometown club in Portsoy, where he often took the club championship. He was still playing (and winning) in his very last months, by that stage into his 90s.


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.