Paul Ritchie
Paul Ritchie
Paul Ritchie
● Paul Ritchie (GI)

born in Scotland

Paul Michael Ritchie was born on Saturday, 25th January, 1969, in St Andrews, Fife.

The 6' 1 (12st 12lbs) forward signed for Dick Campbell's Thistle on Monday, 2nd January, 2006, having most recently been with Brechin City.

Aged 36, he made his debut appearance on Monday, 2nd January, 2006, in a 1-0 win at home to Raith Rovers in the SFL Second Division.

Paul scored his first goal for Thistle on Saturday, 7th January, 2006, in a 1-0 win away to Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup.

He scored his second and final goal for the club on Saturday, 18th February, 2006, in a 2-1 defeat away to Peterhead in the SFL Second Division.

He played his last game for Thistle on Sunday, 14th May, 2006, in a 2-1 win (on pens aet) away to Peterhead in a League play-off match, having appeared as a Jag on 18 occasions.

Paul's club-list included Dundee, Brechin City, Gillingham, Portadown, Derry City, Happy Valley, Hamilton Academical, Yee Hope, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Partick Thistle, East Fife and Lochee United.

Bio Extra

Paul turned out as a striker for a dozen clubs in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Hong Kong in a playing career which spanned some 20-years. 1996-97 was a standout season for him at 3rd tier Hamilton Accies. They were top scorers in the league that season with 75 goals and, although they were pipped to the title by Ayr United, 2nd place guranteed promotion back to the 2nd tier. Paul's personal contribution ensured that he won the Daily Record Golden Shot award (first player to reach 30 goals in the SFL) and he was also voted the Scottish PFA Second Division Player of the Year.

With Thistle's 3rd tier campaign of 2005-06 faltering, manager Dick Campbell signed the experienced forward in the January transfer window of 2006. Within days, the 36-year-old had made his mark by scoring the only goal of the game in a 1-0 Scottish Cup away to Stirling Albion. The run to the Quarter Finals of the cup was most welcome in terms of finances that season. Paul found goals hard to come by during his 5 month playing spell, but his parting gift was one which will live long in the memory for the Firhill faithful. The entire season fell to a dramatic penalty shoot-out decider away to Peterhead in the play-off final. Paul's final act as a Jag was to take the crucial spot-kick which could finalize the shoot-out as a 4-2 win for Thistle. He sent the keeper the wrong way, but his confident kick, high-placed in the corner, would have found the net in any case. Thistle were back in the First Division - cue the pitch invasion and delirious celebrations!


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.