Jimmy Kinloch
Jimmy Kinloch
Jimmy Kinloch
• Jimmy Kinloch (PIC)

born in Scotland

James Kinloch was born on Thursday, 14th April, 1898, in Govan, Glasgow.

The 5' 8 (10st 0lbs) forward signed for George Easton's Thistle on Saturday, 22nd May, 1920, having most recently been with Queen's Park.

Aged 22, he made his debut appearance on Thursday, 19th August, 1920, in a 1-0 win at home to Dumbarton in the Scottish Football League.

That day, Jimmy became a member of our scoring debutant's club.

He scored the last of his 75 goals on Saturday, 17th September, 1927, in a 4-2 defeat away to Raith Rovers in the SFL First Division.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 24th September, 1927, in a 5-2 win at home to Hamilton Academical in the SFL First Division, having clocked up an impressive 250 appearances as a Jag.

His club-list included Anderston Thornbank, Parkhead, Queen's Park and Partick Thistle.

Jimmy died on Sunday, 21st October, 1962, in Bearsden, Glasgow, aged 64.

Bio Extra

In the famous Scottish Cup campaign of 1921, it was a brace from Jimmy Kinloch which settled the third round tie at Merchiston Park (home of East Stirlinghsire) in our favour. Along with Joe Harris and John Blair, Jimmy was an ever-present during our Scottish Cup odyssey that year and, crucially, it was another of his doubles which would settle the Semi Final, 2 months later. By season's end, he would sit atop our scorers chart, with 15 strikes in competitive action. In the pre-season, George Easton had been most keen on securing the services of the tricky inside right, a prolific scorer who was on great form with his club. The 22-year-old Queen's Parker was signing his first professional form, as were more than a few others, the poor old Spiders having being raided from all over Britain lately. Jimmy would have been pleased to reunite with his former team-mates Matt Wilson (midfielder) and Bob McFarlane (forward), both of whom had similarly made the move from Hampden to Firhill earlier in the year.

Jimmy was firmly positioned as an inside right specialist, although even he was coaxed into trying at centre for a handful of games in 20-21, famously bagging a hat-trick when doing so against his former club in December. This seemed only fair, as he had previously netted a hat-trick for Queen's against Thistle in 1919! He was never going to settle as centre though, not having the build to bustle in that role. However, he did score steadily for the Jags over the course of his 8 seasons at the club, and again finished as top scorer in season 1922-23. Such was his prowess as a wily craftsman, he soon joined the healthy Thistle contingent on the international stage, appearing along with Kenny Campbell in a 2-1 win over "Northern" Ireland in March, 1922.

An ailment which was affecting his match fitness forced him to retire early, aged 29, although the Kinloch-Thistle love affair was not yet ready to end. In 1928, as well as running his electrical engineering business, he joined the board of directors, where he would serve until the day he died, some 34 years later.


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.