George Ward
George Ward
George Ward
● George Ward, 1889 (HA)

born in India

George Thomas Ward was born on Tuesday, 8th September, 1863, in Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh.

The midfielder joined Thistle in 1888.

Aged 24, he made his first known appearance on Wednesday, 29th August, 1888, in a 1-0 neutral-venue defeat against Celtic in the Exhibition Cup.

George scored his only known goal for Thistle on Saturday, 29th September, 1888, in a 12-1 friendly win away to Ulster.

He played his last known game for the club on Saturday, 27th April, 1889, in a 4-4 draw at home to Linthouse in the Maryhil Charity Cup, having appeared for the Thistle on at least 27 occasions.

His known club-list included Partick Thistle and Clydesdale Harriers.

George died on Tuesday, 6th April, 1897, in London, aged 33.

Bio Extra

Son of (Englishman) George Ward (wine & spirits merchant) and Mary Jane Ward (née Templeton). Sadly, his Mum died (aged 31) in Faizabad, when George was just 3. The father was a sprinter of no-mean ability and the sporting genes were passed on to his offspring. George was the second of three Ward brothers to appear for the club. He was preceded by his brother James several years earlier, and followed by half-brother William, several years later. William would later become club president and was the first chairman of the new Partick Thistle Football Club Limited in 1903.

An all-round sportsman, George was involved in athletics, swimming and gymnastics, as well as having a dalliance with the football. Amazingly, he's said to have 102 trophies to his name. All of George’s 29 known appearances for Thistle were registered in season 1888-89. The half-back managed to get himself on the score sheet at least once – he slotted home the crucial 10th in a 12-1 tour victory away to Ulster! George is one of the super seven who contributed to all three victories against Rangers in season 1888-89. He also played football for his athletics club, Clydesdale Harriers.

Scotland were gunning for their 9th home title on 3rd April 1897, and the 33-year-old George travelled down to London with some friends to watch the game at Crystal Palace. 33,715 watched Scotland - with future Jags Neilly Gibson & Tom Hyslop in the team - come from behind to win the game by two goals to one. Tragedy befell George that evening, and he found himself in a chemist on the Strand, asking for a sample drought in order to gain some relief from his pain. Whilst partaking of the liquid, he fell and cut his head. He was then rushed to Charing Cross hospital in a cab. The cuts to his head were superficial, but his ailment was not. By the Sunday, he was said to be very restless and excitable and he died on the Tuesday. There was an inquest on the body, and the jury returned a verdict of accidental death.


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.