George Allan [ii]
George Allan [ii]
George Allan [ii]
β€’ George Allan [ii], 1907 (HA)

born in Scotland

George Allan was born in 1885 in Mauchline, East Ayrshire. *

The 6' 0 midfielder signed for George Easton's Thistle on Tuesday, 24th October, 1905.

Aged 19 or 20, he made his debut appearance on Saturday, 16th December, 1905, in a 2-1 win at home to Queen's Park in the SFL First Division.

George scored his first goal for Thistle on Monday, 24th September, 1906, in a 3-0 win at home to Hibernian in the SFL First Division.

He scored the last of his 3 goals on Saturday, 1st February, 1908, in a 4-1 defeat away to Celtic in the SFL First Division.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 7th March, 1908, in a 1-1 draw at home to Port Glasgow Athletic in the SFL First Division, having appeared as a Jag on 64 occasions.

His club-list included Partick Thistle and Ayr United.

George died on Tuesday, 14th March, 1916, in Winchester, Hampshire, aged 30 or 31. *

* If you can help us to improve any of these marked points on The Thistle Archive, then please do get in touch β†’

George Allan [ii]'s Summary Totals
appearances position won drew lost goals
League 51 15 12 24 2
Competitive 62 17 14 31 2
All Games 64 18 14 32 3

Bio Extra

Midfielder George was born in Mauchline in Ayrshire in 1885, and became a Jag in October 1905. He made his debut on 16 December 1905 against Queen’s Park in the SFL First Division. George played over 60 matches for Thistle, with his last appearance coming against Port Glasgow Athletic in the SFL First Division on 7 March 1908, a 1-1 draw. George scored 3 goals during his time with Thistle. His career at Thistle spanned the 1905-06; 1906-07 and 1907-08 seasons. In the 1905-06 season he appeared on 9 competitive occasions. In 1906-07 George played 29 competitive matches, and in his final season at Thistle on 24 occasions. These three seasons were the final Thistle years at Meadowside. George subsequently joined Ayr United.

Away from the football, George qualified as a teacher and, in 1907, became second master of Busby Public School in Renfrewshire. He enlisted as a Private in the Glasgow Highlanders in August 1915 and, after receiving his commission, was transferred to the 3-9th London Regiment where he was a Second Lieutenant. When training in the use of a spring gun, which was a catapult type gun used to lob grenades into enemy trenches, the practice projectile failed to fire. George leaned over the trench to check it, at which point the gun activated. The test projectile hit George in the face, and he died from his injuries a short while later, on 14 March 1916. George was buried at Mauchline 4 days later, and the flags at Firhill flew at half mast while Thistle defeated Hibs by 4 goals to 1.

We commemorate his life in our feature piece, The Partick Thistle Fallen β†’.


Β© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.