Eddie McLeod
Eddie McLeod
Eddie McLeod
● Eddie McLeod, 1933 (EBY)

born in Scotland

Edward McCormick McLeod was born on Sunday, 28th July, 1907, in Springburn, Glasgow.

The 5' 7 (11st 0lbs) midfielder signed for George Easton's Thistle on Tuesday, 1st June, 1926, having most recently been with Ashfield.

Aged 19, he made his debut appearance on Saturday, 14th August, 1926, in a 1-1 draw away to Falkirk in the SFL First Division.

Eddie scored his first goal for Thistle on Saturday, 23rd October, 1926, in a 5-1 win at home to Dunfermline Athletic in the SFL First Division.

He scored the last of his 7 goals on Saturday, 26th October, 1935, in a 2-1 win at home to Hibernian in the SFL First Division.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 25th May, 1940, in a 3-1 defeat at home to Rangers in the Regional League, Western Division, having clocked up a mighty 497 appearances as a Jag.

His club-list included Ashfield and Partick Thistle.

Eddie died in September, 1969, in Troy, New York, aged 62. *

* If you can help us to improve any of these marked points on The Thistle Archive, then please do get in touch →

Bio Extra

Springburn lad Eddie McLeod joined Thistle from Ashfield as a teenager in June 1926. His maiden first team outing was against Falkirk in a league match a couple of months later, a 1-1 draw away from home. Nobody could have predicted what was to follow. Eddie was a fixture in the side for the rest of that season, only missing one match, an SFL 2-2 draw with Dundee United at Firhill in December 1926. He played in the Glasgow Charity Cup victory over Rangers, with Thistle winning 6-3. Sandy Hair scored 5 goals in that match. His 1927-28 appearance record although impressive, was a bit more sporadic. Alex Elliott appeared in the Jags team that season. With Alex at right half, and Eddie in the left half position, Alex Lambie played centre half. All three seemed as unbeatable as the Three Musketeers! Eddie was a good passer of the ball, with a keen footballing brain. Thistle won the Glasgow Dental Cup in the 1928-29 season, with Eddie taking part in all 3 matches. He scored in the first round, a 1-0 victory over Third Lanark. Eddie played his part in the 1934-35 season Glasgow Cup final victory over Rangers, and the Charity Cup victory over Queen’s Park later that season.

Eddie was selected twice for the Scottish Football League XI, both times against the Irish League XI, and played in one edition of the Glasgow Football Association's annual challenge match against Sheffield. Eddie continued as a Jag until 1940, making 497 appearances for the club, a magnificent total. He retired from football in 1940, and joined the war effort by becoming a soldier. At some stage Eddie went to the USA, and passed away there in New York in 1969 at 62 years old.

On account of his service during WWII, Eddie is included in our feature piece, The Partick Thistle returned →.


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.