Alex McSpadyen
Alex McSpadyen
Alex McSpadyen
● Alex McSpadyen, 1939 (WSC)

born in Scotland

Alexander McLuckie McSpadyen was born on Saturday, 19th December, 1914, in Holytown, North Lanarkshire.

The forward signed for Donald Turner's Thistle in March, 1935, having most recently been with Holytown United.

Aged 20, he made his debut appearance on Saturday, 16th March, 1935, in a 2-0 win away to Airdrieonians in the SFL First Division.

Alex scored his first goal for Thistle on Saturday, 9th May, 1936, in a 3-0 win away to St Mirren in the Paisley Charity Cup.

He scored the last of his 32 goals on Saturday, 28th August, 1943, in a 3-1 win away to Celtic in the Glasgow Cup.

He played his last game for the club on Saturday, 23rd August, 1947, in a 2-1 defeat away to Morton in the League Cup, having clocked up an impressive 291 appearances as a Jag.

His club-list included Chapelhall Juveniles, Newarthill Hearts, Holytown United, Partick Thistle, Aberdeen, Millwall, Portadown and Caledonian.

Alex died on Tuesday, 31st October, 1978, in Holytown, North Lanarkshire, aged 63.

Bio Extra

Alex joined Thistle in March 1935. He had made rapid progress in his football career, and the nippy right-winger was soon in the first team. Teenager Alex started with junior side Chaplehall Juveniles in 1933, moved to Newarthill Hearts in 1934 and then joined his home-town club Holytown United in 1934-35. It was from that club that he joined Thistle. He was described as ”One of the fastest wing forwards in Scotland.” David Ness was coming to the end of his Firhill tenure, and there were other options for his place in the side, with Bobby Regan and John Neish looking to play. Once in the side, however, Alex never looked back. He was in the side for the club’s Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup win, in the 1934-35 season, Thistle beating Queen’s Park 2-1 at Hampden. That endeared him to the Thistle cognoscenti! Thistle also won the Glasgow Cup that season, but Alex didn’p play in that tournament.The following season Peter McKennan joined Thistle, and “The Two Macs” became a feared striking partnership. International honours came his way, with 2 full caps in 1938 against Hungary and England. He was also capped for the Scottish League on 3 occasions, against the Irish League in 1938 and 1939. He also played against the English League in 1941.

In the 1935-36 season, Thistle won the Paisley Charity Cup, beating St Mirren 3-1 with Alex scoring the 3rd goal. Despite a knee problem Alex played until 1943, when he joined the Army. He completed his basic training in the north east, and played as a guest for Aberdeen. He also played for Army representative sides on a number of occasions. Alex returned to Firhill to play for the club during his army service, where possible. When he left the army he returned to Thistle, but only played in a handful of matches in the 1947-48 season. Alex played on 290 occasions for Thistle, and fans will always remember him as 1 of the “2 Macs”

He played for Portadown in season 1948-49, where he was fondly remembered for many decades (see 'Scrapbook' tab). Alex joined Inverness Caley in September 1949, but returned to play 3 more games for the Ports in December that same year, before retiring from the game. Injury had slowed him over time. Alex passed away in October 1978 in Holytown, the village where he was born.

On account of his service during WWII, Alex is included in our feature piece, The Partick Thistle returned →.


© The Thistle Archive 2015-2024. All rights reserved. Third-party trademarks and content are the property of their respective owners, and subject to their own copyright terms and conditions. See the website links provided in each case.